Preparatory Department for foreign students is part of Ural Federal University. Presently, it brings together over 3 hundred international students from different corners of the world, giving them ample opportunities to learn the Russian language and treat themselves to Russian culture.
Our Russian language training programs focus on fostering communicative competence through developing the basic language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The key objective of the Russian language training is to enable each student to speak fluently on various topics and in various situations. Students get fully immersed into the Russian-speaking environment and learn the language in situational context. Our Russian language training programs are part of a broader framework of Russian studies: students also learn about life, people, traditions, and culture of Russia.
Our goal is to help you improve your Russian proficiency and raise the benchmark of your current language level to new heights. On top of that, students planning to continue their education at Ural Federal University get the opportunity to take courses related to their future major in Russian.
• We combine the best traditions of classical Soviet-time education and the most advanced techniques in the field of language learning! The training is based on multi-faceted communicative approach which provides for step-by-step coherent mastering of basic language skills: pronunciation, listening, grammar, reading, writing, and speaking. Our first priority is that you acquire communication skills to be a strong candidate in many career and education opportunities in and related to Russia.
Zhao Minwen, China
Different teachers have different teaching methodology, including watching films, listening to the audio, discussing in groups, meeting Russian native-speakers. During holidays and weekends teachers often orginise some excursions and concerts. I had great time in the university. Thank you!
• With us, your language learning is much more than classroom studies. Throughout the training time, you will be immersed in the real student life full of exciting extracurricular activities, including sightseeing, visiting theaters and concerts, poetry readings, participation in Russian language concerts and other events, city quests, Photo Marathon, national festivals, and much more! During all the activities you will be accompanied by our teachers and Russian students who will become your friends, while you are studying at our university!
Hussein Abdullah, Syria
I like this university, Preparatory Department and my teachers, because they help me and my friends to speak Russian and get to know about culture. They teach us in an interesting and funny way, it’s very convenient and useful. Also the teachers make our life easier and more cheerful.
• We have professional, friendly, open and energetic teachers! They are young, talented and very inspiring people to make your training not only highly efficient, but also enjoyable! They guide and support the students, becoming their good companions and reliable assistants, extending classroom learning through lectures, programs, and events. We make sure that all the activities are highly inclusive: each of our teachers takes into account their students educational experience and makes classes comfortable for everyone.
Annisatul Rachmawati, Indonesia
Hello, I'm Annisa from Indonesia. 2 semesters of study in Preparatory Department UrFU was so much fun! All of the teachers are so great, kind and helpful, just like friends! I got a lot of knowledge not only about language, but also Russian's culture and history. And here, I get to meet new friends from around the world, it's pretty cool!
• You will study Russian in small groups. We do our best to facilitate your progress in language learning, so our academic groups consist maximum of 8-12 people. It is proved that a small number of people in the group makes learning as comfortable as possible and maximizes benefits for each student. Small groups allow students to work in pairs and receive individual feedback from the teacher during lessons!
• Continued support
We understand that some habits and rules in Russia may be unfamiliar or even intimidating to you, that's why we have a support team, willing to help and share their experience with you. They will help you adapt to the Russian daily life and feel comfortable in Russia, to overcome barriers of communication and not to be afraid to speak Russian outside the classroom.
Upon arrival, you will be met by a volunteer student who will show you around and into the university, help you with the formalities and with the dormitory! Our “buddies”, for this is what we call them, are most welcoming and open folks, with good command of Chinese, English, Spanish, French and other languages.
• Friendly staff
Are you afraid of difficulties with documents and procedures? Don’t be! With no exception, the staff of the Preparatory Department is there to help: to collect documents for admission, help you with the visa extension and registration. If you have any questions, worries or troubles, do not hesitate to ask the staff!
• Spectacular city of Ekaterinburg
Ekaterinburg – the “third capital” of Russia– is located in the heart of the Eurasian continent. The city presents you with a sheer variety of historical and cultural attractions! It brings along a fusion of traditions from Europe and Asia, buzzing industrial, business and cultural life. For its dynamic pace of life, Yekaterinburg is sometimes referred to as “a little New York”. Meanwhile, our city will surprise you with fresh air and lots of parks, alleys, and forests. You will enjoy not only the rich history of our city, but also the spectacular views! And most importantly, Ekaterinburg is a very safe city. Its inhabitants are very hospitable and always glad to welcome foreign guests!
Come and fall in love with our city!
• Fabulous Russian winter!
Haven’t you heard of the harsh Russian winters? You can’t imagine how comfortable and fun the Russian winter can be! Fresh and crispy air, the dazzling sun, a whole lot of winter activities such as sledding, skiing, skating, playing snowballs, the chance to wear funny hats and, of course, a lot of snow – that's what the wintry Yekaterinburg has in store for you! In December, the whole city is glimmering with New Year lights which feels truly like a fairy tale! And back from the chilly streets, our dormitories and classrooms will feel twice as warm and cozy!
The locals are very fond of winter, and you will certainly love it, too!
Created / Updated: 12 February 2016 / 16 October 2018